Wisconsin Student Dies From Bacterial Meningitis

Bacterial meningitis can quickly lead to death

A student, 24 years old, at University of Wisconsin, died of what is thought to be bacterial meningitis on Thursday.

Health officials think he had a case of meningococcal disease. Meningococcal disease is a severe disease which sometimes causes death.

Causing inflammation in and around the brain or spinal cord, meningitis is an infection that can have serious consequences explains the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

With the disease, individuals also notice a quick fever, headaches, and stiffness of in the upper back and neck area. Additional symptoms include nausea, vomiting, altered mental state, and sensitivity to light.

Experts explain the bacteria can only be spread through direct contact and it cannot survive outside the body.

University Health Services is working to contact the individuals that may be at risk. Those at risk will be required to take an antibiotic.

In 2010, two people died from bacterial meningitis in the University of Wisconsin area, according to the Public Health of Madison and Dane County. This case is the first reported for 2011.